Not all contacts are created equal. You may have hundreds or even thousands of contacts, but Refer.com focuses on helping you build deep trust based relationships with the key contacts who can best provide you a steady stream of referrals.
- By now you have likely created groups in a way that makes sense for your business. If you change your mind, these can be easily modified and changed.
- The groups allow you to organize your key referral sources as well as other people who are important to you (Ex: Referral Sources, Prospects, Clients, Friends & Family).
- Most people find 1-5 groups helpful.
Assigning Contacts to Your Groups (Your Nurture Teams!):
Building relationships requires interaction, communication, and consistent giving to your referral sources.
- Focus your relationship building efforts on 50-75 total contacts who are distributed across one or more groups, with no more than a maximum of 100. It is not necessary to focus on more contacts to drive a steady stream of referrals. It is important to give each relationship sufficient attention.
- As a result of your focused efforts, most of your contacts will remain muted in your Contact Manager, but they are there if you need to make changes or substitutions to your groups.
Building to 25-100+ Quality Referrals Per Year:
- Many users learn the system by getting started with one group of no more than 10 contacts.
- Gradually build to 50-75 assigned contacts across all groups (which is more than enough to drive referrals) and no more than 100.
- Remember, it is easy to add and remove contacts to and from your groups as you go as you better learn the process and observe and track their effectiveness.
- Ideal referral sources include non-competing professionals who serve your same ideal client: For example, if you are an accountant, consider a business attorney, financial planner, local business leaders and board members. If you are a realtor, consider mortgage professionals, well-connected former clients, insurance agents and financial planners.
Suggested “referral partners” by industry:
Business to Business (B2B)
Business Broker (M&A)
CPA / Bookkeeper
Commercial Real Estate Agent
Technology Support Specialist
Commercial Insurance Agent
House and Home
Accountant / CPA
Real Estate Professional
New Home Builder